Are you planning to study in Australia? When we think of Australia we may get images of kangaroos, koalas and beaches, but did you know that Australia is also a popular destination for overseas students? 869,709 foreign students enrolled in Australian institutes in 2018, which was a 8.8% increase from 2017. This proves the multi-ethnicity of Australia in its welcoming nature for international students and employees.
The article here will provide you with all the details about how to apply and study at Australian universities.
Why Study Abroad in Australia?
Why do people choose to study abroad in Australia? Being the third-most-popular country to study and work, Australia is a dream destination for many international students to get high-quality education and career opportunities in a better environment. Apart from its scenic beauty, Australia also provides a high standard of living. Six Australian cities rank in the top 40 cities of the world, with Sydney being in the first 25. This can speak for itself, about how amazing it is for students and professionals.
Reasons to Study Abroad in Australia
- Multilingual: Australia is a multilingual country with 260 spoken languages. With English, Australia also has languages like Mandarin, Italian, Arabic, Cantonese and Greek. This invites a large number of international students to live and earn there.
- Reputation: Once you graduate from an Australian university, you build an impressive reputation in your job applications, making you stand out in a pool of job applications.
- Cost of Living: Living expenses and tuition costs in Australian Universities are relatively lower than those in the US and UK. Moreover, the students are also able to work part-time while they study, to manage their living costs. Many of the Australian Universities also provide scholarships for international students seeking admission there.
- Choice of Courses: Universities in Australia offer a wide range of courses, the first step while seeking admission in Australia should be to find the right degree and the school for them. Students have choices between universities, vocational education, and English language training.
- Part-Time Jobs: International students are given opportunities to work while they study. They are allowed to work 20 hours per week to manage their living expenses. This will also provide additional qualification and work experience for their CVS or resumes.
- Career Opportunities: Australia is a developing country in the field of scientific research and technology innovations. Students studying in these fields have a great opportunity for their career growth.
ALSO READ IELTS Score Validity: How Long is IELTS Score Valid? Facts You Should Know
How to Apply to Study Abroad in Australia?
Different universities may ask for additional requirements; here are some basic requirements that are asked by international students:
- Certified transcripts of your grades.
- Proof of English proficiency: All the Australian universities ask for the IELTS exam to have evidence of your English proficiency. However, different universities ask for a different IELTS band. So, you should be well aware of the IELTS band required for the choice of your university.
- Proof of financial means.
- Health insurance.
Aspirants should note that they should get their required documents before the deadlines.
Application deadlines may vary depending on the university and the course you are applying for. However, it is likely that deadlines of the Australian university applications fall in the below periods:
- Winter Application Deadline – January to February.
- Summer Application Deadline – July to September.
You should keep checking the respective websites of the universities you are applying to.
There are two ways of applying to an Australian University:
- You can directly contact the university if you are already residing in Australia or download and fill an application form online from the university’s official website. Note that if you are applying to multiple universities, then each university will have a different application.
- You can also go for an accredited education agent in Australia. There are many accredited agents in Australia, who may help you fill your application and course online.
Get Your Offer Letter
After you have completed your application form, wait for the university to provide you with the offer letter. You must be patient enough to wait for the offer letter as the universities receive a large number of applications each year, and it may take a longer period of time to respond to each applicant. Usually, it is an email that they send to confirm your admission and the time-period maybe three to four weeks.
As soon as your admission is confirmed, you should apply for a student visa. Your course must be of at least 12 to 52 weeks to apply for a student visa. Here are some requirements for a student visa in Australia:
- Offer letter from an accredited Australian university.
- Proof of financial means.
- Proof of English proficiency.
- Proof of medical check-ups.
- Certified criminal record.
Enrol for Your Course
The final step to become a student in Australia is to enrol in your course. The enrollment is mainly online and to be present for the enrollment process, and you must have your Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) number which you must have already received.
There will be some documents required for your enrollment process depending on the university and course you have applied for. You are required to scan and upload the following documents to enrol for your course:
- Residential address in Australia – (You must register it following your arrival in Australia)
- Valid Passport
- Personal Details
- Every university provides you with a unique online enrollment platform. The universities usually give you a video tutorial on how to use their respective enrollment platform.
How Much does it Cost to Study Abroad in Australia?
The Australian government site for international students provides the typical annual tuition fees for international graduate students as:
- Master’s degree – AU$20,000 (US$14,400) to $37,000 (US$26,600)
- Doctoral degree – AU$14,000 (US$10,060) to $37,000 (US$26,600)
The above fees details do not apply to courses like medical degrees and veterinary course as they are relatively costly courses.
What Can I Study in Australia?
You may choose your area of interest to study, but if you are not sure about what to study in Australia then, here some top courses to apply in Australian Universities:
- Business Management
- Medical Science
- Computing and IT
- Business Analytics
- Allied Health Sciences
- Social Work
- Internet of Things
- Construction and Urban Planning
Should I Study Abroad in Australia or New Zealand?
IDP (International Education Specialists) suggests in their website that Australia and New Zealand, both are highly suitable countries for international students. Here is a detailed comparison between education in Australia and New Zealand on the basis of the quality of education, tuition fee and work opportunities:
Quality of Education
For the QS ranking, Australia has 34 universities and New Zealand, on the other hand, is having 8 of its universities, listed respectively.
Top 3 universities:
- Australia: Australia National University (ranked 24th in the world), the University of Melbourne (39th) and the University of Sydney (42nd).
- New Zealand: University of Auckland (85th in the world), the University of Otago (175th), and Victoria University of Wellington (221st).
Cost of Education
When it comes to the cost of education, these are the following expenses:
- The undergraduate programs in Australia cost about US$22,170 a year.
- Master’s programmes and PhD programmes can cost up to US$26,600 each.
- Course fees may also differ depending on the course you are applying for.
- New Zealand:
- Undergraduate programs cost anywhere between US$15,000 and US$21,000 a year.
- For Postgraduate programs, you can pay up to US$25,000.
Both Australia and New Zealand are great opportunities for overseas students to study and work. However, one should make a careful choice between the two after you have read all the requirements and conditions.
If you are aiming at overseas education in Australia, it is necessary for you to check the requirements of the universities you are applying to. Especially if you’re applying for a master’s degree, you may have to give additional entrance examinations like GMAT and GRE. Therefore you must be well aware of the conditions for your admission. Visit IELTS Ninja and stay tuned for more such informational blogs and IELTS specific content.