IELTS is a language proficiency test for English for aspirants who want to study or work abroad and a work permit is required to work and reside in a country like Germany. It is provided by the German government after you have met all the required qualifications. But, the important question to ask before preparing for IELTS and applying for a work visa is that, is IELTS accepted in Germany? And what are the requirements for study in Germany for Indian students? Read the article below to find out the requirements of getting a work permit or a work visa by the German government.
Why Work in Germany?
Apart from its quality education, Germany also provides numerous employment opportunities for people outside the country. With time, it is becoming the first choice for people who wish to study and work abroad.
Here is a list of factors that motivate people to work in Germany:
High GDP of the country.
Germany believes in strengthening its economy by inviting people from abroad. People working with work visas in Germany contribute to the economy of the country.
Germany is home to many of the branded automotive industries, which can generate immense job opportunities.
Germany is an immigrant-friendly country and stands 3rd globally for hosting Immigrants.
Being one of the major European nations, Germany is having a number of top-ranked universities and companies.
It has the fourth-largest nominal Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of approx EUR 3,815 billion in Europe.
Benefits of Working in Germany
With a work permit for 4 to 5 years, you can become eligible to apply for permanent residency in Germany.
With your work visa in your hand, you get to live and work in Germany till it expires.
Since the work permit has a validity of 1-2 years only, you can always renew your work visa or work permit.
If you hold a work visa in Germany, you may bring your partner and children along with you in Germany.
There are a number of industries like the IT industry, computer science, medical professions, etc that need skilled professionals. This is a chance for foreigners to grab onto such opportunities.
How to Get a Work Permit in Germany?
To work and reside in Germany, you are asked to get permission in the form of either a work visa or a work permit. The choice between them depends on the country you belong to:
Work Permit: People coming from European nations, EEA countries, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland, and the USA need a residence permit to work in Germany. You may not need to have a job already.
Work Visa: People from other countries require a work visa, and must already have this before travelling to Germany. You must also already have a job in Germany before applying. Before having a work visa, you must also have a resident visa of Germany.
What are the Options for Work Visa?
There are different ways for different applicants to apply for a work visa. There are three possible ways of getting a work visa in Germany.
For Non-European Citizen
If you are from a non-European country, then you should apply for a work visa and residence-permit much before your entry to Germany. The eligibilities are:
- An offer letter from the workplace in Germany.
- An acceptance letter from the Federal employment agency in the country.
For Students Graduated from Germany
The second option is to apply for the EU Blue Card. You are eligible for an EU Blue Card if:
- You are a graduate of a German university.
- You are a skilled professional in the field of either Mathematics, IT, Life Sciences, Engineering or Medicine, but with a salary comparable to the German job you are applying for.
Then comes the German Jobseeker Visa that allows foreigners to search for a job in Germany, and once they get a job, they become eligible for a work permit visa. However, the visa holders are allowed to search for a job within six months only. The eligibility requirements for this visa include:
- At least five years of work experience in a related job.
- Must be having enough funds for a six-month stay in Germany.
Process of the Germany Work Visa
- Check for the visa application on the official website of the German Federal Foreign Embassy. Apply on the official website only.
- Once you have received your job offer, you should apply for a work visa as soon as possible, as it takes a specific time-period of six to eleven weeks. You are required to fill the application twice because the Germany Embassy needs two original copies of the visa application.
- The two photos used in the visa-application are needed to be of your present-time. The application may get rejected if the photo does not match your present features.
- You are then asked to submit your visa application along with all the needed documents to the German Consulate of your country.
- If you get selected, then you are required to visit the local registration office in Germany in order to register yourself. This process confirms the validation of your work visa.
Is IELTS Required for Germany Work Permit?
Many applicants may have questions like, is IELTS required for Germany? Is IELTS accepted in Germany? Or, is IELTS required for a Germany work permit? And, if yes, then what is the IELTS band score for Germany?
IELTS is not a necessary requirement for a work permit visa in Germany. However, it is still a requirement for many jobs where English remains a medium of communication.
Reasons Why Applicants Still Take IELTS for Work Permit
Here are some reasons why applicants still may take IELTS to work in Germany:
- If your job involves travelling outside Germany, then IELTS becomes a requirement to prove your proficiency in English.
- A good IELTS score proves your effectiveness in global communication skills.
- IELTS is not an eligibility requirement for work visas in Germany, but it can prove to be beneficial for applicants wishing to work and settle in Germany.
Cost and Time for Work Visa
The usual processing time for a German work visa is six to eleven weeks, and it costs around 60 Euros. One should apply for a work visa in advance as there are 50,000- 60,000 work permits issued every year.
IELTS is not necessary for a German work permit, but it can increase your chances of a successful career in Germany. To read more blogs on queries like what is the IELTS requirement for a Germany student visa? And is IELTS enough for MS in Germany? Visit IELTS Ninja, it will provide you with all the important details on IELTS Germany and other countries.