When it comes to Masters in Canada (Computer Science), there are three types which you can opt for. Namely, MACS, MSc and M.Eng. A full-time course can take anywhere from 1.5 years to 2 years. And as for expenses, a full-time course without any scholarships can cost between $50,000 to $62,000.
Canada is one of the best countries known for its diversity and inclusive values and also the most educated country in the world. It hosts the largest student population in the world and ranks number 4 for teaching quality among its other peers. With almost 12 ranked in the top 300 universities in the world, Canada ranks as one of the best countries in terms of literacy rate.
Nearly 40 universities in Canada offer masters in computer science. As a subject computer science ranks among the top 10 in Canadian universities. Also, as per the Maclean’s Canadian Universities Rankings, Masters in Computer science ranks number one in terms of research reputation. MS computer science can earn you as much as $110,000 in big MNCs like Sterling Turner, Google or Amazon.
Best Colleges in Canada for Masters in Computer Science
The table below illustrates the best colleges in Canada to apply for MS in Computer Science with respect to the cost of pursuing the course such as project management courses in Canada.
|Name of the University||Fees in USD|
|University of Toronto||79,900|
|University of Waterloo||21,126|
|University of British Columbia||13,428|
|University of Ottawa||41,278|
|University of Alberta||14,555|
|Simon Fraser University||23,760|
Why Study Masters in Computer Science in Canada?
The reasons due to which studying masters in Computer science in Canada is considered a fruitful choice is because the tuition fees are basically lower, and there also are immigration-friendly policies that assist in making the destination a worthy spot for pursuing the course.
Besides being lighter on your pocket, Canada is popular for being the safest of all countries as well, as ranked by the global peace index, which makes the place a choice you can keep on top of your lists.
Reasons to Study
Additionally, MS in Computer Science being a lucrative program, the incremental side of job opportunities makes the course worth pursuing. The job market clearly depends on the pursuers of Computer Science to upgrade to greater opportunities, since the requirements of the course in today’s society is considered very crucial. Because of it, the side of job opportunities for Computer Science postgraduates is in fact on the upward edge.
As even statistically upheld and discussed by JobBank Canada, the new job openings of 52,300 are basically anticipated for web programmes, that consist of 20,700 new profile openings for software engineers and 10,100 respectively for computer engineers.
Having said that, pursuing MS in Computer science will not hold the candidate in doubt in the near future.
Key Features to Take Up Masters in Computer Science in Canada
When talking about Masters in Computer science, it is now ranked among the top 3 in Canada for the in-depth course detail, specialization, lower tuition fees, and exposure in the job market. The top 10 famously opted specializations students hardly refused to take include: Robotics, Human-Computer Interaction, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Data Analytics, and several others.
Type of Masters
There primarily are 3 types of Masters in Computer Science which students choose in accordance to their preferences, and future job interests sometime later in future:
- MACS: This Master course in Canada is a 16-month long research-based course that will require the student to finally submit the thesis by the very end of the course.
- M.ENG: Masters of Computer science and technology is known to students for being an a16-month-long professional graduate course.
- MSc: Master of Computer Science is apparently a 2-year long course that will furthermore require independent research work from the candidate who has enrolled allegedly for it.
Basically, computer science postgraduates are also provided with a 3 years work extension period via Postgraduate Work Permit Programme (PGWPP), post their classified study in Canada.
International Computer Science postgraduates receive almost 7 university-particular scholarships or, either way, numerous other externally funded scholarships as well.
The eligibility criteria as informed for Masters in Computer science in Canada is somewhat very common in almost top 10 universities in the place. The international applicants are supposed to fulfill the few basic criteria:
- International applicants are expected to have obtained 16 years of education, broken strictly as 10 + 2 + 4, the proof of which has been mandated across various sections of the place.
- Simultaneously, a bachelor’s in computer science from Canada or either from any different country, or undergraduates of various other disciplines relevant to computer sciences are considered eligible to apply forth.
- At the same time, a GPA of basically 3.25 or above minutely on a 4.0 point scale or a CGPA of 7 to 8 on a scale of 10 is strictly considered to be significant for further selection. Besides, the percentile equivalent of the similar niche is about 80-85%.
- The candidate is required to take with them the GRE scores which are not supposed to be any older than 2 years.
- The admission eligibility moreover is finalised on the basis of the programming skills of the applicant as well.
For international applicants, the required documents for applications include everything from transcripts to proficiency test scores. The list of mandatory documents which should be submitted along with the application and the application fee are listed below,
- High school and undergraduate degree grade or transcripts.
- Degrees align with the date of conferral.
- A Statement of Purpose, i.e. a 2 page essay or a video displaying why they want to study and join the university and what their future plans are.
- Letter of recommendations is a must for applications. They can be from anyone including, people they’ve worked under or faculty members who have taught them during their undergraduate degree.
- A score from a standardized test like the GRE must be sent into the college officially through the GRE portal.
- English language proficiency tests are mandatory for international students whose mother tongue is not English. IELTS is one such examination.
Popular companies like Amazon, Scotiabank, Sterling Turner, and several others hire computer science postgraduate students directly out of the top colleges in Canada. Alongside being hired by various top companies, they also get paid very handsomely after they join. So, if you’re still thinking if Canada would be a good choice to take your education forward. I would suggest you stop wasting time and start acting upon it.
Also, for the English proficiency test IELTS, you can get a free demo class here. All the best for your endeavours.