Do you want to move to Canada for your further studies? If yes, you need a study permit for Canada. A study permit is a provision, which will open the door of opportunity in Canada for you. If you are adamant to implement your final decision to get a study permit for Canada, then you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) too. Make sure that you have both of them, primed. With each step, you can find yourself a step ahead towards your dream. If you are worried about the time this process takes then you don’t have to worry because now, Canada study permit processing time is approximately 4-5 weeks.
Do I need a Study Permit to Study in Canada?
Yes, If you want to study in Canada then without a study permit you will not be able to fulfil your desire. Study permit and a Visa are mandatory for you to get if you want to smoothly move to Canada for Studies.
What is a Study Permit for Canada?
If you are confused about whether it is a visa or not? We would like to clarify that it is not a visa it is a document that is issued by the Citizen and Immigration (CIC) which permits you to study in Canada. This is an imperative document and without it, you will not be able to fulfil your dream of studying in Canada. Along with this permit, you will need to apply for a visitor visa or Travel Authorization (ETA). To make it more coherent, you will have to apply for this study permit. And to enter Canada you will need a visitor visa or ETA. From the moment you realize that you want to study in Canada, start applying for both these documents.
Documents required for Canada Visa Study Permit
With these documents, your application will not proceed to a further stage. Assure that you have all these documents with you before applying for a study permit and a visa. So documents that you required are:-
Proof of identity
You need a valid passport or travel document. You have to upload a copy of this document when you apply online. Then after the documents are approved, you must send the organization, your original passport. Another proof of identity that you need is two recent passport-size pictures. Don’t forget to write your name and date of birth at the back of each photograph.
Proof of Acceptance
Unless and until you have the offer from the institute (school or college) of Canada. You will not be able to clear this application process. You can add an original copy of the electronic copy of the offer that you have received. If you have received conditional acceptance, then you will need to take proviso courses like English or French as a second language course.
You are required to complete these courses after which you can start your main program which you want to pursue. In this scenario, the study permit is issued only for the tenure of these second language courses adding one year. Once you get acceptance for the main program, you can apply for a new student permit, so that you can extend your stay as a student in Canada.
Proof of Financial Support
This is a mandatory document to be provided, which confirms whether you have the financial support for your travel throughout your staying period.
Documents that you can present as financial proof:-
- If you have taken a student or education loan from a bank, they can provide it a financial proof
- Your bank statement particularly for 4 months
- Proof of your paid tuition and housing fees
- If you have transferred money to a Canadian bank, then you need to provide proof of this Canadian bank account
- You will need a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
- A letter is also needed from the person or school that will be giving you money
- Proof of scholarship or Canadian funded education program if it’s applicable for you
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a Canadian financial institution that is participating
Additional Points to keep in Mind
Along with documents, make sure of the following points because these are as important as the documents:-
- Be in a state of sound health, to prove the status of your health you need to complete a medical exam
- Ensure that you have no criminal record and you will not be a risk to anybody in Canada and its security. You have to be a law-abiding citizen to clear the procedure. As no country will allow a person with a criminal record as he/she is believed to be a threat to the country.
- As mentioned above you will be required to prove that you have enough money to pay for:- tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and your family if someone is coming with you to Canada, return transportation.
Eligibility to get Canada Visa Study Permit
This is the very first step before applying for the study permit that is imperative to have if you need to study in Canada. Corroborate whether you are eligible or not, but if you are not then make sure you tick all of them.
- You must be enrolled at DLI (Designated learning institute)
- Check the proof of identity, proof of acceptance, and proof of financial support
- Get a police certificate that states that you have no criminal history and certifying that you are a law-abiding citizen
- Good health condition with a medical certificate.
- Assurance from you to an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of the specified tenure of stay.
Student Direct Stream
The study permit visa for Canada which used to take 2-3 months to complete. Now, it takes only 4-6 weeks for the whole process to get completed. Things have changed now with Student Direct Stream(SDS), which is a program launched by the IRCC. For this, you need to check whether you contain additional documents or not.
IELTS Requirement for a Study Permit for Canada
To get your Canadian study permit visa, you will need to demonstrate your proficiency in the English Language. For this, you need to score well in the IELTS test which is recognized worldwide. Institutions in Canada have their IELTS criteria to select a candidate. To grab this opportunity start preparing for IELTS, from the point you decide to study in Canada. If you are planning to pursue an undergraduate degree from Canada, then you will be needing a minimum of 6.0 bands in your IELTS. And, if you are planning the pursue your post-graduate degree then you will need to score 6.5 band
Can I Study in Canada with Work Permit?
Yes, you can study in Canada. During your stay on the basis of a work permit in Canada, you can enrol yourself in a short-term course or program that lasts six months or even less. But make sure of the main conditions given in the eligibility section.
The first step that you need to take while working for a study permit in Canada, is to check your eligibility. Then go for checking and verifying all your documents because, without them, your application will not be accepted. Be cautious while filling the application form and make sure that you are applying for a study permit as well as for a visa.
But simultaneously focus on achieving the required IELTS score.