The International English Language Testing System or IELTS is an English language test that occurs universally. Students who do not have English as their native language but need it for studying in a foreign university, opt for this test. It helps to judge how proficient the test taker is in the English language. The modes of conducting the test are via paper format and digitally. Now the question is – Can universities in Germany accept my IELTS score in general training? For this, one needs to have information about MS in Germany.
Admission for an MS in Germany
The eligibility criteria of a university and the academic program determine how you can get admission for an MS in Germany. Here are certain steps you need to follow:
- You have to get your passport with you.
- You can go for the IELTS or TOEFL test.
- If it is necessary, take the GRE.
- You need to gather all your academic documents.
- You have to prepare your CV/Resume and Statement of Purpose.
- You are to get your Letters of Recommendation.
- The next step is to apply to the universities you have shortlisted.
- Apply for an education loan if necessary.
For an MS in Germany, there are generally two intakes for international students at German institutions. The summer intake begins in March, and the deadline is 15th January. The intake for the winter season starts in September and continues till 15th July. The German universities start accepting applications from students from August to January for the summer intake and from December to March for the winter intake every year.
Requirements for Pursuing an MS in Germany
- Your undergraduate degree having a minimum 75% of marks or a CGPA of 7.5 out of 10.
- You require a 6.5/9 IELTS score for Germany. The universities in Germany also accept your TOEFL score, which must be above 90.
- Though GRE is not mandatory, a certain university or score can ask you to submit your GRE score.
Preparation for the IELTS exam
First of all, you need to understand the test format and the marking scheme. Then you have to make a plan to obtain your desired grade. IELTS preparation can take months and even years at times! It also involves a lot of hard work and money.
Perfect Your Skills –
The first step is to improve your general level of English. The higher your English, the better your score. The IELTS test has four sections- listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Each of these components has a variety of questions, and each requires you to practice a particular skill.
Academic students can expect that one out of seven different types of questions will come in Task 1 Writing.
Each kind of question requires different skills. There are ten different sorts of questions for the listening and reading tests each. All these questions need a different set of skills as well as strategy. You should spend the maximum time of your preparation in practising such skills. A combination of these skills, along with a high English level, will fetch you a high score.
Know the Marking Scheme –
You have higher chances of improving your score if you know the demands of the examiners and provide the same. The first approach is to decide if you are doing General Training or Academic and then understand the format of the test. You also have to understand the different types of questions, which will be hugely advantageous.
Achieve Perfection in your Skills –
There are uncountable approaches and strategies that you should perfect to achieve success in the IELTS exam. You need to have the knowledge of writing an effective introduction and conclusion. It is necessary for you to know how to develop your answers in the speaking test and locate the appropriate information in the reading test.
Since vocabulary plays a predominant role in the IELTS test, you should improve it. If you want to improve your English, you have to practise it bit by bit every day. Combined learning of English with the most familiar IELTS topics can help in your goal.
To obtain enough familiarity with the test, you should conduct practice tests for yourself and form an understanding of your current band score. Finding out your weaknesses will be the most suitable strategy for preparation.
IELTS Band Score
The band score for the IELTS exam comprises four categories. A description of the same lies below:
- Fluency – It is the master category that encompasses all the other IELTS speaking skills. The examiner determines a candidate’s fluency and coherence in the way the latter displays his comfort in English while he answers the interview questions.
- Lexical Resources – This category tests a student’s vocabulary and if he uses a variety of words and idioms correctly.
- Grammatical Range – if you want to score well in this category, you have to use a lot of grammatical forms with full accuracy.
- Pronunciation – It is a measure of how effective the students are in pronouncing vowel and consonant sounds in English words. One needs to focus on intonation and proper word stress as well.
Category Band Score
The writing band of a test-taker is the average of the category band score for each of the four skills below:
- Completion of Tasks – Students need to follow the instructions in the prompt for scoring well in the category. You have to answer the question and perform the task in its entirety.
- Cohesion– This category measures how well the students have organized the essay and paragraphs, whether useful transitions are present and the relevance of the details and ideas.
- Lexical Resources – It is a measure of the test-takers ability to use a good range of vocabulary words in an appropriate and effective method.
- Grammatical Accuracy – The candidate needs to use a large variety of sentence structures and correct grammar forms.
We are here to help you provide all the relevant details for the IELTS exam. Keep reading our blogs to achieve success in your test as we solve doubts, keep track of progress, and help to improve in weak areas. Stay tuned with us to know more about IELTS preparation.