The UK government provides educational opportunities to all students, but to pursue future studies in the United Kingdom a student must obtain a student visa first. The type of student visa needed by you will depend on your age and the degree you are planning to pursue.
You can apply via the British Government’s official website for a student visa. You need to apply at least three months before the date you wish to travel to the United Kingdom.
Different Types of Student Visas offered by the UK
Students often wonder what visas are required to study in the UK? Listed below are the different student visas and their application requirements:
- Tier 4 (General) Student Visa: Students with an age of 16 years or more, who have been offered admission in a course at a University in the United Kingdom can apply for this visa. The student needs to apply three months before the start of the course.
- Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa: Students aged between 4 and 17, who have been offered a place in a course at an educational institution can apply for this visa. You need to apply three months before the start of your course.
- Short – Term Study Visa: Students who have been admitted in a short – term course in the United Kingdom can apply for this visa. You need to apply three months before the start of the course.
Documents required for UK Study Visa after 12th
Universities in the United Kingdom offer courses in various disciplines. However, the applicant must fulfil certain academic requirements in order to apply for a UK study visa. The applicant must have obtained a minimum of 60% marks in class 12th examinations, depending on the course they are applying for.
If you are planning to proceed with your application for the UK student visa, you also need to submit the below-mentioned documents. Until these documents are attached, your application will not proceed forward. To apply for UK study visa documents required are:
- Tuberculosis Test Certificate: The Student applying for the UK student visa must have taken a Tuberculosis Test.
- Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies: The student needs to enter the confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) provided to them from their respective universities. You need to enter this in your visa application.
- Health Surcharge Reference Number: The student needs to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of their visa application.
- Proof of Funds: Students need to show that they will be able to cover the fees for the first year of the course and the cost of living up to a maximum of nine months. The amount depends on whether the student is an adult or a kid, as well as the location of the University.
- Current Passport
- Legal guardian consent if the student is under 18 years of age.
- Proof of relationship with the legal guardian.
- Coloured passport size photographs.
- Proof of English proficiency skills through tests like IELTS, TOEFL or PTE.
How Many Bands are required for a UK Study Visa?
If you are planning to apply in any university situated in the United Kingdom, you need to attempt the IELTS examination. The aim of this course is to evaluate a student’s proficiency in the English language and to check whether the student is capable enough to study in the UK.
Given below are the different band requirements for a student to pursue different courses across the United Kingdoms:
- For bachelor’s courses, the band score required is 6.5, with all band scores to be above 6.0 and above.
- For a master’s degree, the required band score is 7.0, with all bands to be 6.5 and above.
UK Study Visa Requirements
The applicant needs to apply for a tier 4 visa, which lasts till the duration of the course. Students who are older than 16 years of age are eligible to apply for the course. It usually takes about 3 to 4 weeks to receive a UK study visa, so you should start your application process at least 3 months before the start of your course.
You need to make sure that the institute you are applying to is licenced, and you have received your certificate of acceptance studies before you start applying for the UK study visa. The student needs to pay £ 348 to apply for a UK student visa. If you need to continue working in the United Kingdom, you need to apply for a post-study work visa.
The UK provides an enriching experience for students all over the world. Students get to meet and interact with individuals not only from the UK but from different parts of the globe. Probably this article has guided you through the process and the requirements needed to apply for a UK study visa. For more of such helpful posts, keep your eyes here. All the best for your future endeavours.