The European continent is one of the most exclusive locations in the world. It is host to 44 countries, out of which 26 are a part of the Schengen area. The countries which fall under this area require a Schengen Visa to enter for different purposes like study, work, travel, immigration, training, etc. This blog will give you elaborate information on what are the Europe Visa requirements.
Almost all non-European nationals require a visa to enter Europe, specifically a Schengen Visa to enter the countries of that area. Some countries like the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, and Australia have an agreement of visa waiver with the European Union. Nationals from these countries do not require a visa if the duration of their visit is less than 90 days.
The Schengen Area and Visa: Is Visa Required for Europe Throughout?
The Schengen Area consists of 26 countries, which overthrow border controls among each other. A person holding a Schengen Visa does not need to stop at identity verification at borders among these countries. The following countries fall under the Schengen area slab.
|The Netherlands||Slovakia||Czech Republic||France|
The other countries, which are not a part of the Schengen Area also have certain requirements for the visa, to enter. These countries come under the non- Schengen area:
|Armenia||Bosnia & Herzegovina||Ireland||Serbia|
Documents Required for Europe Visas From India
Indians require a Schengen Visa to enter any country in that area. The following documents are required for Europe Visas from India:
- Visa Application form, which can also be filed electronically, and a hard copy can be obtained later
- A passport or travel document, the validity of which should be 3 months beyond the date of leaving Europe
- An ID card or residence proof of Indian nationality
- A letter stating the purpose of visit and itinerary
- Travel insurance document for visa
- Two passport-sized recent photographs
- Proof of accommodation/ stay during the whole duration of the visit
- A document for proof of civil status
- Proof for sufficient funds, and financial backup for the intended period of stay.
What is the Required IELTS Score for Europe?
Any of the IELTS or TOEFL exam score is required for certain purposes in Europe like studying, working, training, or immigrating. The minimum IELTS score required to study in Europe is around band score 6 and goes up to 7. However, the required scores may be lower or higher depending on the university chosen, or the location chosen for stay.
These are some of the prominent locations for studying in the UK, along with the IELTS score requirements in top universities:
University of Oxford- 6.5
University of Cambridge- 6.5
Imperial College London- 6.5
University of Paris- 6.5
Ecole Polytechnique- 6.5
Telecom Paris- 5.5
University of Helsinki- 6.5
Aalto University- 6.5
University of Oulu- 6.5
LMU Munich- 6.5
Technical University of Munich- 6.5
Heidelberg University- 6.5
University of Oslo- 6.0
University of Bergen- 6.5
UIT The Arctic University of Norway- 6.5
Pompeu Fabra University- 6.5
Autonomous University of Barcelona- 6.0
University of Navarra
KU Leuven- 6.5
Ghent University- 5.5
Universite Catholique de Louvain
Visa Requirements for US Citizens to Europe
The USA is one of the countries which are exempted from visa application processes. US citizens do not require a visa for Europe if the stay is short, which is up to 90 days. If a US citizen intends to visit for a duration of more than 90 days, then he/she will have to apply for a Schengen Visa for visiting the countries in that area. A visa is not required in case the person has applied for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System).
The following are visa requirements for US citizens to Europe:
- A completely filled Schengen Visa application form
- Round trip flight tickets, or tickets to further a destination
- Travel insurance documents for medical cover in the Schengen Area
- Passport-sized photographs
- Accommodation proof for the duration of the visit
- A valid US passport containing 2 blank pages
- Copies of previously applied Schengen Visas, if any
This blog has covered what are the various visa requirements for Europe, and also what are the documents required when applying from India, or as a US citizen. Europe is a great place to be, with wonderful landscapes and a perfect work-life balance. For those who aspire to be here, there is an ocean of opportunities lying ahead. Do let us know more of your queries regarding other Europe visa-related points.