There are three primary errors students make while attempting IELTS writing task 2
- Task achievement errors
- Long sentence myth
- Complex vocabulary myth
These three errors eventually become their folly. We will take a bottom-up approach and discuss the first blunder in the end for the simple reason, it is most difficult to explain. It is also the most damaging blunder of the three.
Fact1 – IELTS examiners do NOT look for long sentences, but concise, succulent and cohesive sentences.
Fact2 – IELTS examiners look for “relevant” vocabulary and NOT “complex” vocabulary. Which means can you use topic-specific words when needed. What words are using while talking about development vs environment. Can you use hazard, conservation, industrialization, pollution etc.
Let us look at the biggest enemy you have to fight:-
Task achievement errors
We all assume that there are certain fixed types of essays. We almost memorize them. Overdoing the types and their templates can cost you very dear. Try fitting the below-mentioned essay prompts to the standard templates and you will know what wrong you have been doing all this while
Types of essays:
- Agree or Disagree/opinion
- Discuss Both Views and your opinion/two opinion essay
- Advantages and Disadvantages
- Problems/Causes and Solutions
Biggest blunders with task achievement
- Memorized templates, too many model answers – overlooking the task objective and going wayward or offtrack
- Your ideas are memorized, lack originality
Tricky previously appeared IELTS questions which test your Task response
- Some people think that radio is the best way to get news while others think that television is better for this purpose. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Money should be spent on creating new public buildings such as museums or town halls rather than renovating the existing ones. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people prefer to travel by car while others prefer to take the bicycle. Which of these do you prefer? What are the advantages and disadvantages of travelling by car and a bicycle?
- Many people are shifting completely on mobile phones for news and current affairs. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Many people believe in consuming packaged, ready to cook and quick meal options in food, rather than freshly made food? Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
- Nowadays more and more people read news on the Internet. Nevertheless, newspapers will remain an important source of news and information for the majority of people. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? (confused with discussing both opinions
- Research indicates that the characteristics we are born with have much more influence on our personality and development than any experiences we may have in our life. Which do you consider to be the major influence?