Living abroad for academic purposes is no less than a dream come true. Canada is one of them which is not only immigrant-friendly but also has a variety of productive courses. However, there are over 90 top colleges and universities in Canada, making it hard to choose which will suit your subject and career choices best. So, how to choose college or university in Canada? Stay here, because we got all your doubts covered!
University in Canada
Some of Canada’s best universities also come under some of the top institutes worldwide. These universities are mainly based on English and French language for both public and private colleges. There are different colleges in various provinces of Canada known for their forte in the field in which you are applying. Some of the well-known universities are – University of Toronto, McGill University, and the University of British Columbia.
Excluding the pandemic effect, there are many causes for students to not be able to attend college physically. To cater to that issue, many universities provide online and distance education. It means that you can get your diploma, bachelor’s, certificate, and even post-bachelorette sitting at your home. This really helps lower tuition fees and provides the flexibility to manage your time smoothly. The curriculum is carried out through digital portals.
What is IELTS?
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a standard international method to test your English language skills. It is held on a global level, and its credits are validated and preferred by almost all the colleges and institutions in Canada.
Over three million IELTS tests are conducted in a year to assess your English learning, speaking, reading, and writing skills. This proficiency in English gives a green tick for you to pack your bags for Canada.
IELTS for Canada
Every college has a minimum IELTS score requirement to fulfil and compete with other applicants. For Canada, whether going for a bachelor’s or master’s, you need to show your IELTS score qualifying the minimum required score by the College or the University.
For a post-graduation course, you must score over 6.5. To get a study visa for a Bachelor’s, you must score a minimum of 5.5 in the IELTS band for Canada to get admission to any college/university in Canada.
Now you can live permanently in Canada. Yes, you heard that right! No more deadlines or visa renewals, or any citizenship procedure.
To get PR, you need to take the IELTS exam for Canada and score a minimum of six bands in each module, out of nine. It’s better to have work experience of at least a year as well. Canada encourages such permanent immigration, as it helps them to further promote their economy. However, each territory and provinces have their own standards and rules to select –
Rules and Criteria
- You need to apply for your form through the specific Provincial Nominee Program.
- No funds are provided by the Canadian government, and you have to support yourself and your family expenses on your own.
- You might need to give a technical exam, which might have a certain fee to pursue.
- Documents must be certified and notarized by an authorised body and should have an affidavit.
- If your documents aren’t in French or English, then you must get them translated into French or English.
- Any false or misleading details about you in the form is a very serious offence, whereas incomplete forms are returned back to you, which will further delay your procedure.
- You need to disclose your balance funds, which can be in the form of cash, bonds, stocks, money orders, cheques, etc., but if not done, then serious action of penalty or even imprisonment can be taken into action.
- You will be accompanied by an instruction guide along with your form, so read it carefully.
- Your PR card is normally for five years, and can then be renewed further.
Pattern of IELTS
1) Listening Section – For this, you have to go through around four recorded monologues and long conversations, which are generally based on social issues or education. Listen to it carefully because you only get to hear it once to attempt questions based on it.
2) Reading Section – These are generally taken from authentic sources like books, newspapers, journals, etc. It majorly consists of three long passages to read, and then you have to attempt questions based on it for which you get only 30 minutes.
3) Writing Section – For this part, you need to fulfil the given word limit. You may be asked to write a short essay, explain, or summarise any content. You basically get an hour to complete the same. Make sure that your writing format is completely in the right format.
4) Speaking Section – It consists of an interview where they test you over personality and communication skills through opinionated questions or some familiar topic, in a discussion lasting for a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Be familiar with the syllabus and the guidelines.
- Many places especially provide for IELTS coaching and test preparation.
- Refer to books by Cambridge, where they also provide audio lectures.
- Keep attempting the IELTS mock papers available online.
- For the speaking or interview section, work on your pronunciation, sentence formation, and vocabulary.
- In the writing section, always start with an attention-capturing introduction and end with meaningful conclusions.
- Be mindful of the time limit and practise your writing skill accordingly.
- Keep reading as much you can regularly, as it will help you massively in the reading section.
- You will receive a high quality of educational facilities, but also a successful career with tremendous scope for growth.
- Canada’s tuition fees are much lower compared to other country’s college fees.
- It’s easier to get not only a visa but also the Permanent Residency (PR) status.
- Students can get an opportunity to work on-campus part-time to get the required experience.
- Canada has a lot of immigrant students. This will allow you to connect with diversified cultures smoothly.
To get the required IELTS score for Canada’s best universities, people generally take extra tuitions and classes. Whether you belong to a native English speaking country or not, everyone must prepare for this examination seriously. There are many online assessments and tests available on websites to help you with the same. You can also check out IELTS Ninja for your IELTS preparation. It is a customised study plan for every student put together by the best pool of mentors who are well-versed and proficient in the field. For more information, check out the site today!
Stay tuned with us to know more about the Canadian residency requirements and IELTS related content.