Germany is a land of technological innovations and home to some famous industries. It is popular for its quality education, job opportunities and better living standards. If you are planning to migrate to Germany and still confused about which language proficiency tests to take for Germany? The below article will answer your questions.
When it comes to language proficiency tests, IELTS is recognised by most of the global universities. We are here to answer your various queries like – Is IELTS accepted in Germany? Or, is IELTS required for Germany? Is IELTS accepted in Germany for a German student visa?
IELTS is very much accepted by most universities of Germany, and many times is a basic eligibility requirement for admissions.
Why Study in Germany?
The universities in Germany are among the top universities in the world with excellent opportunities for foreign students. Germany is among the most preferred countries for overseas education and employment. Hence, studying in Germany provides you with several benefits; some of them are mentioned below:
- The tuition fees at most of the German Universities is either low or free.
- There are several fundings and scholarship options for foreign students.
- German universities do not strictly adhere to German as the only medium of education, they also provide various courses in English.
- Foreign students also get to live at a low cost in Germany.
- Because of the growing German economy, there are better job opportunities for overseas graduates from German universities.
- There is a wide range of courses provided by German universities.
- Because of the large number of students from various countries coming to Germany, you also get a multiethnic environment around you.
ATTEMPT FREE IELTS MOCK TEST HERE
What are the Required IELTS Band Scores in German Universities?
While targeting your overseas education in Germany, you may start thinking about the usual IELTS band score for Germany. Since Germany is not entirely an English-speaking country, the German universities do not ask for a high IELTS score of 7 or 7.5. Usually, the required IELTS score varies between 4.5 and 6.5. Here is a list of some prestigious German universities and the IELTS Germany scores they usually require:
- Technical University of Munich: IELTS Score 6.5
- Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich; IELTS score 5.5
- University of Heidelberg: IELTS score of 6.5
- Humboldt University of Berlin: IELTS score 6.5
- University of Freiburg: IELTS score 6
- RWTH Aachen University: IELTS score 6.5
- University of Tüebingen: IELTS score 6
- Charite Universitatsmedizin: IELTS score 6
- Free University of Berlin: IELTS score 6.5
- University of Bonn: IELTS score 6
What is the IELTS Requirement for Germany Student Visa?
You may have provided proof of your language proficiency tests in your applications already, but to gain a resident permit, you are required to provide the information again. For courses taught in English medium IELTS or TOEFL scores are required.
This is because many foreign students come to study in Germany, the country has widely accepted English as one of the teaching mediums in its universities. There are over 350 university courses in German being taught in English. Hence, IELTS has become one of the major requirements for a German student visa.
IELTS Requirement for Undergraduate Courses
An undergraduate course in Germany is generally of four years to five years, depending on the course type. To apply for an undergraduate course, you must get an IELTS score of 6.0 with no less than 5.5 bands in each module of the exam.
IELTS Requirement for Postgraduate Courses
A postgraduate program or Masters in Germany is usually for one or two years, depending on the type of program. For a doctoral degree, 4-6 semesters are required. For a postgraduate course, an applicant has to provide an IELTS score with overall 6.0 or 6.5 bands with no less than 6 bands in each module.
Is IELTS Enough for MS in Germany?
Since many of the courses in Germany are being taught in English, IELTS becomes one of the required language proficiency tests for a Masters Degree in Germany. However, this requirement depends totally on the program you are opting for, for example, if you opt for a course in German, you will be asked for a German language proficiency test.
However, IELTS alone may not be enough to study masters in Germany as it is a postgraduate program. So as a foreign student, you are required to qualify for tests like GRE (for science, maths and literature courses) or GMAT (for MBA). Although it is not necessary to give GRE for every university but to aspire for top universities with top courses you should qualify for GRE.
Is IELTS Required for Germany Work Permit?
While searching the work permit eligibility in Germany, applicants may get stuck at the question of whether IELTS is required for a work permit visa or not. The answer is no, IELTS is not an eligibility criterion for German Visa. However, the requirement of English proficiency depends on the type of work you are applying for, for example, if your job is in a multinational company in Germany and involves travelling around the world then a certain English proficiency is required.
Therefore, in order to get better job opportunities, one should qualify for IELTS. You should have a minimum proficiency level of B2 or C1 to find a good job in Germany. With a decent IELTS band, you may stand out in the competitive industries in Germany.
How to Study in Germany for Indian Students?
Indian students form the third largest group of foreign students in German universities. According to a 2020 report by the Federal Statistical Office of Germany, there is a 20.85% increase in Indian students from 2019. Check the requirements below to find how to apply for German universities as an Indian student.
For a Bachelor’s Degree
- Entrance Qualification like GRE or GMAT.
- Transcript of grades in your previous qualifications.
- Proof of Language Proficiency: IELTS for English-medium course and TestDaf for German-medium courses.
- ID or Valid Passport Copies.
- Motivation letter (Optional).
For Master’s Degree
- Recognised Bachelor Degree.
- Transcript of Grades.
- Proof of Language Proficiency-German or English(IELTS)
- Motivation Letter.
- Important References.
- Work Experiences (Optional).
One should note that to live, work and study well in Germany, one must aim at qualifying both the languages proficiency tests, that is German as well as English. This will improve your chances of settling in Germany with a decent job. However, if you wish to study for a short course in the country, you may not require proficiency in both languages.
Because of the growing English medium courses in Germany, IELTS has become one of the major requirements to study as well as work in Germany. Before choosing the language proficiency tests, one must confirm his or her choice of course and its requirements. Stay tuned to read more blogs on IELTS related content at IELTS Ninja. The blogs will let you know more about the IELTS requirements of different countries.